How to Pay for an Education in a Harvard Extension School

Non-admitted Students

Students who are taking classes on a course by course basis are not eligible for federal or state financial aid, or financial aid through the university. There are other financial aid options available though, which are listed on the Harvard University Extension School website. These options include scholarships, private loans and tuition assistance programs. Most students will need to take at least three courses in their degree program and earn at least a "B" before admission.

Admitted Students

Students who are admitted to a degree program and are United States citizens or "eligible non-citizen" are classified as "admitted students" by the Harvard University Extension School financial aid office and are eligible for federal, state and university funding. Non-citizens can contact the financial aid office to discuss eligibility for aid.

Aid Processing

After the necessary paperwork has been filed and the aid as been accepted, the financial aid will be applied to the student's financial aid account. If the amount of financial aid received is greater than the cost of attendance for the term, the student will receive the difference in the form of a refund within 14 days. Students typically use refund checks to cover books, transportation and living expenses. If the amount of financial aid is less than the cost of attendance, the student is responsible for paying the difference. Excess costs can be paid by credit, cash and check.Other Options
Harvard University staff members are eligible for an alternative financial aid program through the university. The program is called the Harvard University Tuition Assistance Plan or TAP for short. Staff members are eligible for the Tuition Assistance Plan if they have worked for at least 17.5 hours per week since July 1st for fall classes and November 1st for spring. As of 2010, staff members pay $40 per class, with a maximum of two classes per term. Veterans may be eligible for financial assistance for educational endeavors through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans should contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs directly to establish eligibility. They should then notify Student Financial Services at the Harvard University Extension School.


Popular posts from this blog

Scientific Classification of a Siamese Cat

Customized Essay

Sports Science Fair Project Ideas